Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Third Anniversary Interview - Hyodo Juza

"I'll keep struggling in order to reach my goals"





- Your days must be busy seeing you are both a student and an actor, what do you do on your days off?

On my days off I take care of my body like Sakyo-san (Sakyo) always tells me to do, and I often reread the fan letters I got during performances. I'm not very good at envisioning how the audience sees me when I'm on stage. That's why the advice I get from my friends and the Director are really helpful, and the letters I get from the people who watch the plays are encouraging. I'm happy to read about how the writer felt about my acting, and their thoughts about the role I played. By knowing how my acting appeared to the audience, I can think about points to improve for the next time, and it gives me determination to deliver deeper and stronger acting. I'm always grateful to all the people who cheer me on.

- You didn't have any acting experience before joining MANKAI Company, did you have anything you found difficult?

Looking back at the time when I just started acting, my hands were full with trying to perform my role well… I didn't have enough composure to pay attention to what was going on on stage, or to match my acting with the others'. It's still a weakness that I try to improve, but thanks to all kinda people watching over my practices, I think I became better at reading the situation on the stage, and accepting the others' acting. I still plan on improving.

- What does "acting" mean for you?

I used to think acting is being able to become someone else. I saw hope in becoming someone else through playing a role, and that's why I started acting in the first place. I was told it's just running away from myself, and I think I was doing just that. But I noticed something after playing the lead in our sixth performance. It's not about becoming someone entirely different, you can also act as though condoling with your past self. I realized that I can use part of my own life in my acting, and that it leads to an acting that only the actor Hyodo Juza can perform. I feel that because I was able to realize that, I could accept my self from before I started acting.

- Then tell us what your goals as an actor are?

After getting to play a lead role once, my goal as an actor became clear. Someday, I will definitely become an actor that can undertake any role. My knowledge is still lacking, and the types of roles I can play are limited. But I'm certainly honing my skills little by little, and I believe that as I keep honing the sensitivity that I lack, my skills will increase. Precisely because my weaknesses are clear, I'm able to keep struggling in order to reach my goals. I feel joy in struggling, and I'll keep acting full power from now on too.

No comments:

Post a Comment